Visas & Immigration

Support is at hand with your student visa application. Find out more about eligibility and studying in the UK.

From which countries do applicants require a student visa to study in the UK?


All international students are required to obtain a visa to study on a course in the UK from January 1st 2021, through the Student Immigration Route, which came into effect on 5th October 2020. You can check whether or not you need a Student visa to study in the UK using the UK Visas and Immigration service.

Information for EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals

From 1 January 2021, citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will need to apply for immigration permission to enter or remain in the UK. If you are a EU/EEA/Swiss national entering the UK from 1 January 2021 to study, you will need to make a Student visa application. However, if you have entered the UK (or intend to) before 1 January 2021, you can apply for permission to remain in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme. In this case you would not have to make a Student visa application. 


Getting A Visa To Study


In order to study in the UK, you will have to apply through the Student Immigration Route. You can only do this once you have received a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement from us, which will be issued once you have met all of the conditions of your offer. 

If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024

You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.

UKVI will update their information on how to prove your immigration status in early 2024. You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected.

Lost, damaged or stolen Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If you have lost, damaged or had your BRP stolen, please report it to Registry as soon as possible. Then visit and follow the instructions to report the incident.

A change to your personal details

You need to report any updates to Registry as well as updating your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account if you’ve updated any of the following personal details:

  • Name
  • Identity document, such as your passport or national identity card
  • Mobile phone number
  • Email address
  • Home address
  • Postal address

Making Your Application

Outlined by the UK Government, students who meet the following criteria will be eligible to apply for a Student Visa

• You have applied to a course of study at AECC University College
• You have been given an unconditional offer (no further conditions to meet)
• You have accepted the offer

applying for your UK Student Visa

How To Apply


Applications for Student visas are submitted online.

How to apply for your UK Student Visa

Apply here for your student visa using the UK GOVERNMENT WEBSITE

When And Where To Apply?

It's worthwhile noting that applications can't be made any earlier than six months before the scheduled start date of your course (from outside of the UK) or three months before the scheduled start date of your course (from inside the UK). 

Applications will need to be submitted with sufficient time to ensure that you will be able to arrive in the UK for the scheduled start of the course. Naturally, each country has varying visa processing times although on average this process takes around 3 weeks. For further information about the average processing time for your country, please refer to you local visa application centre, who should be able to advise details of this. 

Supporting Documents


Maintenance (money) Requirements

Immigration Health Surcharge

As part of the application process, you will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge of £470 for each year of the course that you intend to study on to entitle you to healthcare under the National Health Service (NHS). For more information please visit the link below.
immigration health surcharge  

You must be able to demonstrate that you have the necessary funds to be able to support yourself whilst you study in the UK. The maintenance requirements for students studying outside of London are £1,023 per month (for 9 months) for living costs. This means will need to evidence that you have £9,207. In addition, you will need to demonstrate that you have the requisite funds in your account to pay your tuition fees. Please note that these funds must be in your nominated bank account for at least 28 consecutive days before you submit your visa application. 

However, from 1 January 2022, EU and Swiss full-time students studying in the UK can apply for a reimbursement of the immigration health surcharge (IHS).  But you will not be able to get as must free healthcare in the UK.  You should carefully consider all the information before deciding whether to apply for a reimbursement - Further information from
Immigration Rules Appendix C Maintenance Funds 

Planning Your Arrival

Travel To The UK

You will receive a temporary visa (vignette) in your passport that lasts for 30 days and it will clearly state when it is due to expire. You must travel to the UK within this timeframe otherwise you will not be able to enter the UK.

When You Arrive

When you arrive in the UK, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the nominated Post Office, and details will be given in your decision letter.  Please note, you are required to collect your BRP within 10 days of arriving in the UK. It's important to collect it within this timeframe as it may be returned the UKVI and your 'leave to remain' curtailed. You will need to bring your BRP with you to enrolment. We've included some Guidance Notes provided by the Government which explains more about BRP, and what it can be used for.

Please remember to update your local address and phone number when you arrive.  This information will be collected when you enrol, but you must inform of any changes.


You will need to apply for your Student visa prior to coming to the UK to study. Our helpful Admissions team can provide guidance and support about making the application, as well as any other immigration enquiries you have on  

For the most up to date guidance, we recommend that you take a look at the UK Government website as this provides you with the most up to date information.

Official Government UKVI website 
Student and child student casework guidance

Working after you study - Graduate Route Visa

The Graduate Route Visa allows international students to apply to stay in the UK to work upon successful completion of your course.  Please see the link below for further details.

Graduate Route Visa Information