Visas and Immigration | AECC University College

Visas & Immigration

From which Countries do Applicants Require a Student Visa

All international students are required to obtain a visa to study on a course in the UK from January 1st 2021, through the Student Immigration Route, which came into effect on 5th October 2020. You can check whether or not you need a Student visa to study in the UK using the UK Visas and Immigration service.

Information for EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals

From 1 January 2021, citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will need to apply for immigration permission to enter or remain in the UK. If you are a EU/EEA/Swiss national entering the UK from 1 January 2021 to study, you will need to make a Student visa application. However, if you have entered the UK (or intend to) before 1 January 2021, you can apply for permission to remain in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme. In this case you would not have to make a Student visa application.

Female students chatting

Before Your Studies

If you are not a UK or Irish citizen you must have valid immigration permission allowing study in the UK before we can enrol you on a course at AECC UC.

Learn More
Female students studying in a classroom

During your studies

If you require immigration permission to study in the UK you must have valid immigration permission throughout your course, and abide by the immigration rules that are relevant to you.

Learn More
Student and Student Services

Making Your Application

Outlined by the UK Government, students who meet the following criteria will be eligible to apply for a Student Visa

  • You have applied to a course of study at AECC University College
  • You have been given an unconditional offer (no further conditions to meet)
  • You have accepted the offer

Find more information on the website.

Getting A Visa To Study

In order to study in the UK, you will have to apply through the Student Immigration Route. You can only do this once you have received a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement from us, which will be issued once you have met all of the conditions of your offer.


If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024

You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.

UKVI will update their information on how to prove your immigration status in early 2024. You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected.

Lost, damaged or stolen Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If you have lost, damaged or had your BRP stolen, please report it to Registry as soon as possible. Then visit and follow the instructions to report the incident.

A change to your personal details

You need to report any updates to Registry as well as updating your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account if you’ve updated any of the following personal details:

  • Name
  • Identity document, such as your passport or national identity card
  • Mobile phone number
  • Email address
  • Home address
  • Postal address

How To Apply

Applications for Student visas are submitted online.

Check out this helpful ‘How to’ guide from the British Council website.

Apply via the website .

When And Where To Apply?

It’s worthwhile noting that applications can’t be made any earlier than six months before the scheduled start date of your course (from outside of the UK) or three months before the scheduled start date of your course (from inside the UK).

Applications will need to be submitted with sufficient time to ensure that you will be able to arrive in the UK for the scheduled start of the course. Naturally, each country has varying visa processing times although on average this process takes around 3 weeks. For further information about the average processing time for your country, please refer to you local visa application centre, who should be able to advise details of this.

Supporting Documents
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Once you have met the conditions of your offer and you accept that offer, AECC University College will issue you with a CAS statement which contains a 14-digit code. You’ll need this code when making your Student visa application. Please note that a CAS statement will only be produced at the earliest within 6 months of the start of the course. The CAS statement is valid for 6 months and must be used within this time or it will expire.

Original qualification documents

We do require you to provide the original documents of the qualifications that you have been offered a place based on, as listed on your CAS statement. Where these documents are not in English you will also need to give a verified translation. This could for example, be a degree certificate and transcript but will more likely be your A-level equivalent qualifications.

English language qualification

Your CAS statement will show whether you need to provide any evidence that you meet the UKVI English language requirements. If this is something that’s needed, we ask that you please present this using the original document, and not a copy, as part of your application.


You will need to supply your biometrics in the form of fingerprints and facial image. Servicing this process will also take place at your local Visa Centre.

Credibility Interviews

It is possible that you may need to undergo an interview as part of the application process. This interview would be as part of the same appointment at your Visa Centre that you would undertake your biometrics.  Normally these interviews will last around 5-10 minutes and it’s likely you will ask you about your understanding of the course you have applied for, AECC University College and the local area, motivation to study and other topics.

TB Clearance Certificate

Depending on the country that you are applying from, you may be required to obtain a certificate that confirms you are free of Tuberculosis (TB).

UK Government provide a list of countries required to obtain the certificate so it is worthwhile taking a look to check if your country is one that a TB clearance certificate is needed.


You will be required to provide your current passport and if relevant to the application, any previous passports. You will also need to provide two suitable photographs.

You can find information regarding passport photo guidance from HM passport Office.

Cycling on Bournemouth Beach

Planning Your Arrival

Travel To The UK

You will receive a temporary visa (vignette) in your passport that lasts for 30 days and it will clearly state when it is due to expire. You must travel to the UK within this timeframe otherwise you will not be able to enter the UK.

When You Arrive

When you arrive in the UK, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the nominated Post Office, and details will be given in your decision letter.  Please note, you are required to collect your BRP within 10 days of arriving in the UK. It’s important to collect it within this timeframe as it may be returned the UKVI and your ‘leave to remain’ curtailed. You will need to bring your BRP with you to enrolment. We’ve included some Guidance Notes provided by the Government which explains more about BRP, and what it can be used for.

Please remember to update your local address and phone number when you arrive.  This information will be collected when you enrol, but you must inform of any changes.

Maintenance (money) Requirements

Immigration Health Surcharge

As part of the application process, you will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge of £470 for each year of the course that you intend to study on to entitle you to healthcare under the National Health Service (NHS). For more information see Immigration health surcharge.


You must be able to demonstrate that you have the necessary funds to be able to support yourself whilst you study in the UK. The maintenance requirements for students studying outside of London are £1,023 per month (for 9 months) for living costs. This means will need to evidence that you have £9,207. In addition, you will need to demonstrate that you have the requisite funds in your account to pay your tuition fees. Please note that these funds must be in your nominated bank account for at least 28 consecutive days before you submit your visa application.

However, from 1 January 2022, EU and Swiss full-time students studying in the UK can apply for a reimbursement of the immigration health surcharge (IHS).  But you will not be able to get as must free healthcare in the UK.  You should carefully consider all the information before deciding whether to apply for a reimbursement – Further information from & Imigration Rules Appendix C Maintenance Funds.

Find out more about financial requirements

Join our vibrant international student community

You’ll be welcomed in a safe and supportive environment, perfect for you to learn and succeed.

Latest News

Discover and read all the latest news, press releases and happenings here at AECC University College.


Martin Kumm Profile Picture

Martin Kumm tells the story of his journey from graduation to achieving his dream job as a chiropractor for the EF Education Easy-Post professional cycling team.

Pippa Myres Dancing

Professional ballet dancer Pippa Myres had to re-think her career and is now training to become a podiatrist on the MSc Podiatry course.

Callum Moss

Callum Moss is a First Year student on the MSc Physiotherapy (pre-registration) course at AECC University College. We recently caught up with him to hear more about his decision to study to become a physiotherapist and why AECC UC is an appealing specialist university.

Aurora Paris With Rugby Team

We hear about Aurora’s work experience within Rugby and why she enjoys studying within the close-knit community at AECC University College.

AECC Logo White
© 2024 AECC University College -