The AECC University College quality framework outlines the policies and procedures in place to ensure the maintenance of academic standards and the maintenance and enhancement of the student learning experience. Our course specifications let you know what to expect as a student with us.
The AECC University College quality framework outlines the policies and procedures in place through which we safeguard and maintain academic standards, and enhance the quality of the student learning experience. The effective implementation of these policies will enable us to demonstrate that we are achieving the outcomes expected of us, and continue to meet the ongoing conditions for Registration with the Office for Students, and the Expectations set out in the revised UK Quality Code.
In May 2016 we were granted our own Taught Degree-Awarding Powers and from September 2017 all new students entering this institution have enrolled on courses leading to our awards. This means that the qualification students receive at the end of their studies will be made in the name of this institution. We are fully responsible for the setting and maintaining of our own academic standards and for the quality of our courses and the student experience we provide for students enrolled on our awards.
Academic regulations policies and procedures
From September 2017 all new students enrol on courses leading to awards of this institution and will follow academic regulations, policies and procedures specific to this institution and approved by our Academic Board. The key regulations, policies and procedures which affect students are available from the Policies for Students webpage, any new policies and procedures are added to that page as they are approved.
Students remaining on Bournemouth University awards will continue to follow these regulations, policies and procedures. The detailed procedural documents, and the outcomes of recent reviews, are available on request.
The University College operates its own Assessment Boards, in accordance with our Organisation and Conduct of Assessment Boards Policy and Procedure, available on request from the Quality and Enhancement Manager..
Our Assessment Regulations are available from the Latest Policies page.
Further information is available on request by e-mail to the AECC University College Quality and Enhancement Manager.
How we work with external examiners
Since September 2017 the University College has appointed external examiners for its own awards, under our External Examining Policy and Procedures. Programmes leading to Bournemouth University awards continue to be overseen by external examiners nominated by this institution and approved by the University. Each external examiner submits an annual report which we consider in detail; and we prepare a full response to address any recommendations made. We make external examiners’ reports and responses available in full to staff and students within the University College.
External examiners play a leading role in assuring the academic standards and quality of the courses we offer. External examiners offer advice and comment on:
- whether the academic standards for our courses are appropriately set and maintained in accordance with the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications, and relevant professional standards.
- how standards and student performance at the AECC University College compare with that on similar courses at other higher education institutions.
- whether our assessment process is fair and rigorous, and is conducted in accordance with our approved policies and procedures.
Please refer to our External Examining Policy and Procedures for further information, or e-mail the Quality and Enhancement Manager
AECC University College's Student Agreement contains the rules and regulations policies and procedures that will apply to students enrolled on higher education awards of this institution. It forms the basis of a contractual relationship between our students and us.
You can read the Student Agreement by following the link on our Latest Policies page.
Please contact the Academic Registrar if you are unable to access any of the links to documents or if there is anything in them that you are unsure about and want to discuss.
AECC University College is a unique, close knit community where staff and students work together to maintain a collegiate, open and safe environment for all aspects of learning and development. Finding out about, and understanding, the student viewpoint is essential for us to maintain and improve the learning experience. We therefore actively encourage student participation and engagement, through both formal and informal means. Our commitment is set out in:
- our Student Charter, which outlines what the University College will do to help students succeed on their course, and what we expect of students so that they can achieve their own goals. It provides the framework for the learning experience.
- our Student Engagement Policy (found on our latest policies page). This outlines the opportunities available to students to engage with and take part in quality assurance and enhancement activities including:
- student representation system
- feedback through surveys - all student shave the opportunity to complete a Programmes Experience Survey annually, and we take part in the National Student Survey (NSS). The results of the surveys are discussed in the relevant committees and action plans are developed in response where required
- Student Staff Liaison Sub-committee, with representation from students on all courses
- course monitoring, approval and review activities
- activities specific to particular courses.
Student complaints and academic appeals
Copies of our Student Complaints and Academic Appeals policies and procedures applying to students enrolled on courses leading to awards of this institution from September 2017 and thereafter are available from the latest policies page.
The policies and procedures applying to current and continuing students enrolled on programmes at this institution which lead to awards of Bournemouth University are available on request.
Public Information Provision Policy Statement
Our Public Information Provision Policy Statement covers information about our academic courses, services, policies and regulations which is published in electronic or printed form. It sets out the principles underpinning our provision of information, and the ways in which we aim to ensure the information we provide about the institution and the learning environment is fit for purpose, accessible and trustworthy
Further information about these issues or any other queries about academic quality and standards at the AECC University College may be addressed by e-mail to the AECC Quality and Enhancement Manager.