Senior Lecturer in Occupational Therapy
Parag Sawant is a HCPC registered Occupational Therapist and joins the School of Rehabilitation, Sport and Psychology as a Senior Lecturer in Occupational Therapy. He has worked as an academician in Occupational Therapy for more than 5 years.
Parag Sawant joins AECC University College as a Senior lecturer in Occupational Therapy and will be Leading the MSc Occupational Therapy (Pre-Reg) course starting in January 2023. He will be working within the School of Rehabilitation, Sport and Psychology with colleagues from other disciplines.
Parag gained his Masters in Occupational Therapy (Neurosciences) from Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, India in 2014. Since then, he has been working in Occupational Therapy Clinical practices within various Neurorehabilitation settings. He has worked within MDT and has expertise in Upper extremity robotics in Neuro rehabilitation for Stroke Patients.
Parag has led an Occupational Therapy clinical setting with a Neurosurgery Rehabilitation unit in a Municipal run tertiary healthcare set up in Mumbai, India, and has worked as an academician in Occupational Therapy for 5 years. He has recently moved to Bournemouth to widen his area of practice.
Parag says “working with AECC university college is a privilege. It gives me an opportunity to add global perspective to my professional practice in Occupational Therapy using my entrepreneurial skills.”
November 2014- May 2017: Worked as Neuro- Occupational Therapist in Clinical practice in Mumbai, India
May 2017- October 2021: Worked as Assistant Professor in Occupational Therapy at LTMMC & GH, Sion, Mumbai, India
January 2022- February 2022: Lecturer in Occupational Therapy at LSBU, London
February 2022- July 2022: Associate Lecturer in Occupational Therapy at Brunel University, London
- Bachelor in Occupational therapy (2011)
- Masters in Occupational Therapy - Neurosciences (2014)
- HCPC registered Occupational Therapist
- Member of Royal College of Occupational Therapy
Parag is interested in developing cognitive/metacognitive skills in students to develop their learning skills/Clinical practitioners to reduce their cognitive workload.
Publications: Book chapters/Peer reviewed articles
- Sawant, P. and Ferzandi, Z. (2015) ‘Effect of Occupational Therapy on Fatigue and Quality of Life in Patients with Guillain Barre Syndrome’, Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy - An International Journal, 9(4), p. 209. doi:10.5958/0973-5674.2015.00174.4.
- Sawant, P. and Gokhale, P. (2015) ‘Functional Approach in Spino-cerebellar Ataxia-Occupational Therapy Perspective’, Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy - An International Journal, 9(4), p. 223. doi:10.5958/0973-5674.2015.00176.8.
- Gokhale, P.S. and Sawant, P. (2015) ‘Effectiveness of Occupational Therapy Intervention on Social Interaction Skills in Children with Mild Autism Spectrum Disorder’, Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy - An International Journal, 9(4), p. 229. doi:10.5958/0973-5674.2015.00177.x.
- Sawant, P., Gokhale, P. and Ferzandi, Z. (2017) ‘Screening of Chronic Alcoholics for Cognitive Impairment Using Montreal Cognitive Assessment—Occupational Therapy Perspective’, Journal of Health Management, 19(4), p. 634–648. doi:10.1177/0972063417727620.
- Sawant, P. and Gokhale, P. (2019) ‘Brief review on alcohol related dementia; scope of Occupational Therapy’, International journal of health sciences and research, 9 (5), p.376-380.
- Gokhale, P. and Sawant, P. (2020) ‘COVID- 19 and Role of Occupational Therapy’, EC Neurology, 12 (11).
- Jaywant, S., Shrivastav, D. and Sawant, P. (2020) ‘The effect of comprehensive approach in improving activity participation in a girl with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Sensory processing disorder- A case study’, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Educational Research, 9(12), p. 114-120.
- Kamble, A., Dandekar, V. and Sawant, P. (2021) ‘Analyzing the impact of Covid-19 pandemic on occupational therapists: Quality of life and psychological well-being’, International Journal of Applied Research, 7(11), pp. 303–319. doi:10.22271/allresearch.2021.v7.i11e.9150.