Basic Third Trimester Pregnancy Growth
Introduce yourself to ultrasound in this course for midwives.
Date : TBC
This well established CASE accredited course aimed at midwives and nurses provides essential knowledge in the safe management of 3rd trimester pregnancy.
The course is suitable for hospital lead fetal growth assessment units in line with the best practice guidelines. The course syllabus reflects the essential requirements of these organisations in providing ultrasound training for safe practice.
To register your place, please make your booking via Eventbrite on the link below.
If you’d like to know more about registering on this Third Trimester Ultrasound course speak to our School of Medical Ultrasound team on 01202 436505 or send your enquiry on the form below.
- Course title:
- Basic Third Trimester Pregnancy Growth Ultrasound
- 1 day Introductory Seminar
BSc (Hons), DR. MSc. MU - Head of School of Medical Ultrasound
Warren Foster is currently Head of AECC University College's School of Medical Ultrasound, a member of the Senior Management Group and program Lead for the MSc Ultrasound courses. With more than 15 years of Ultrasound experience across numerous specialities within the NHS, he is ideally placed to support your studies.
The course is delivered in three stages:
• Stage 1 lays down the foundation of ultrasound imaging and seeks to engage students in the safe application of ultrasound imaging in 3rd Trimester pregnancy for measurement of fetal biometry and liquor volume to include Doppler assessment.
• Stage 2 is the continuing ultrasound training under the supervision of a competent practice educator, approved by SMU. Established growth assessment unit midwives are expected to sign a clinical agreement form for the completion of supervised ultrasound training stipulated in Stage 2 document.
• Stage 3 addresses the students “fitness to practice” by undergoing an assessment of competency in 3rd Trimester dating, liquor volume and umbilical waveform measurement in ultrasound.
On successful completion of Stage 2, midwives will be able to present for ultrasound competency assessment according to the guidelines set in Stage 3. The assessment of ultrasound competency will take place at the designated established ultrasound clinics.
Morning 8.00 - 13.00
- Introduction to the course
- Physics of Ultrasound
- Ultrasound equipment
Basic 3rd trimester Ultrasound
- Normal Ultrasound Anatomy
- Ultrasound findings for growth retardation (HC/AC Ration; Oligohydramnios and Umbilical Arterial Waveform)
- Key Ultrasound Measurements
- Transabdominal ultrasound
- Fetal Biometry measurements
- Liquor Volume measurements
- Umbilical Arterial Wavefor
Break 13.00 - 14.00 Light lunch is included.
Afternoon 14.00 - 17.00
- Practical Workshop using healthy volunteers and phantoms.
- Ultrasound Quality Assurance
- Safety training protocol
1st degree in a relevant Health Science or a practicing midwife/nurse.
There will be a £265 fee for the Assessment once your log book is complete.
The number of places are limited so book early to avoid disappointment.
Stage 1: 1 day introductory seminar £490
Stage 2: To be completed within your own workplace
Stage 3: Assessment £265
Please note there will be a £25 charge to re issue any duplicate certificates
Terms and Conditions