Handy advice for Backcare Awareness Week 2014
We’ve been busy celebrating Backcare Awareness week in and around the college. This year’s focus has been on office workers – did you know that about 7.6 million working days were lost due to work-related back pain and other musculoskeletal disorders from 2010 to 2011 according to an NHS study?
- Stand, Sit and Move at your desk
- Stretch your back at your desk at least every half hour
- Maintain a good posture. Avoid slumping in your chair, leaning over a desk or walking with your shoulders hunched
- Set your workstation just right - use a chair with a backrest, sit with your feet flat on the floor or on a footrest, change how you sit every few minutes.
- Use headsets to help stop straining those neck muscles
- Take regular breaks especially if you work long hours
- When lifting, always bend your knees and hips, not your back. Never twist and bend at the same time
Did you know?