Covid-19 FAQs for International and EU Students

Please see below for some additional Covid-19 FAQs for our International and EU Students.

FAQs for International and EU Students

A1. Please look into your travel carefully, checking guidelines of the country you are traveling from and the guidelines issued by the UK Government, which can be seen here 

If you are traveling to the UK from a country that requires self-quarantine on arrival in the UK, please ensure you arrange your travel to allow for you to complete your 10 days self-isolation before the third week of semester. 

From 04:00am on Monday 18 January* passengers arriving by ship, plane or train will have to take a test up to 3 days before departure and provide evidence of a negative result before they travel. This will be an additional requirement that applies to all passengers, including those traveling from a Travel Corridor country, other than those on a very short list of exemptions. 

The test must be of a diagnostic-standard test such as a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)  test, and passengers will have to present proof of their qualifying negative test result at check-in and at the UK border to show they have had a qualifying negative test. This will include set data fields which test result certificates must include. If a passenger arrives in England without a pre-departure negative test result, they will be fined. 

More information can be found in this Government statement with more information to follow from  

* date extended by Government on 14 January 

A2. We know that some students either can’t get back to the UK or are nervous about traveling and attending university during the lockdown. If this is you, you must let us know by using this reporting form. This will help us manage your absence, ascertain numbers of students attending classes, inform our plans for personal and academic support and support any application you may submit for consideration of Exceptional Personal Circumstances.  

We expect a high level of attendance at practical sessions as this is proven to supports academic success, however higher education is voluntary and as an adult learner you can decide if you attend your classes (and any consequences that may arise as a result). Therefore, you must continue to engage with your course through online lectures and resources, and that you will take any and all opportunities to catch up when you return to face to face teaching.   

A3: We want to support all students who are arriving from overseas who have to self-isolate in line with government regulations. Please complete the online reporting form to log your absence officially. This will enable the University College to provide support if you need it whilst isolating and give you access to catch up support.  

A4: Please see the information in the Government guidance about this here.   

A5. You can use existing policies and procedures if you need them. Exceptional Personal Circumstances is used to apply for a postponement, extension, or Board consideration of your circumstances. You can find it on the Official Documents page of Moodle here. Student Services and the Students’ Union can help provide information about your options. 

A6. First and foremost, we completely understand. To reassure you, we are doing everything we can to continue to make the campus Covid-secure. All face-too-face teaching is safe with PPE/face masks/socially distanced (subject dependent) and only essential practical skills are taking place on campus. We are also testing all staff and students on their return to campus.

You can delay your return to campus. For more details please see question Q2 above if this will help ease your concerns.

You can use existing policies and procedures to support you at this time - please see Q5 above. In addition to the Exceptional Personal Circumstances policy, you could consider not coming back at all this year. In this case, you should use the Study Break Policy.  Both policies are available on the Official Documents page of Moodle here. Student Services and the Students’ Union can help provide information about your options. 


A7: If you develop symptoms of Coronavirus (a new continuous cough, a high temperature, a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia), please do not come onto campus.

If you develop any of these symptoms, you must stay at home and arrange to have a test to see if you have COVID-19. Please do not come onto campus.

You can access a test by going to a testing site or order a postal testing kit. All tests are booked via or calling 119. If you have been tested positive for Coronavirus, you must notify AECC University College by emailing in the same way you would if you were absent from the University College for any illness. 

Please be aware of other seasonal illnesses, such as meningitis and mumps, can start with similar symptoms. We encourage you to make sure your immunisations are up to date and to be aware of seasonal illnesses. For more information, please see the NHS website for mumps and for more information on meningitis please visit Meningitis Now which has specific resources for university students.  


A8: There are a number of different English language tests that we accept so if you are unable to undertake a particular test, you can consider undertaking a different one. More information about accepted English language qualifications can be found here.

For further Covid-19 related FAQs, please refer to the FAQs for current students.

Get Social