Professor Dave Newell
BSc, PgCert, PhD, FRCC (Hon), FEAC - Professor of Integrated Musculoskeletal Care and AECC University College Doctoral Coordinator
Professor Dave Newell graduated from Plymouth University with an honour’s degree in Biological Sciences and subsequently a PhD in molecular biology in 1986. His academic career has been spent teaching and researching in higher education both in the UK and internationally, holding the post of Research Director in multiple chiropractic and health-related programs. He has considerable expertise and experience in teaching the natural sciences, research methodology and critical thinking and been involved or lead in multiple curriculum design, validation and accreditation of healthcare-related programs. He teaches at undergraduate, postgraduate master’s and Doctorate level and has published extensively in areas related to musculoskeletal health in general and allied or complementary health professions in particular.
Dave Newell is currently Professor of Integrated Musculoskeletal Care and AECC University College Doctoral Coordinator. He is also a visiting Research Fellow in the School of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Faculty of Medicine at the University of Southampton.
He is responsible for running the University Colleges Doctoral Programme and is presently chair of the University College Professoriate. He is involved in the supervision and management of multiple PhD students and research projects in collaboration with a wide range of national and international academic and clinical groups.
- Research Gate (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dave-Newell-2/research)
Areas of Research Interest
- Human perception and the role of contextual factors in the therapeutic encounter
- Patient reported outcomes measures (PROMS) and outcomes psychometrics
- Tele and digital health.
- BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences
- PGCert Computational Biology
- PhD Molecular Biology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Chiropractors (Hon)
- Fellow of the European Academy of Chiropractic
- Fellow of the British Chiropractic Association (Hon)
Recent Research Publications
- CHAD E COOK, ANTOINE BALLIARD, JENNIFER BENT, JOEL BIALOSKY, ELISA CARLINO, LUANA COLLOCA, JORGE E ESTEVES, DAVE NEWELL, ALVISA PALESE, WILLIAM R. REED, JENNIFER PLUMB VILARDAGA, GIACOMO ROSSETTINI. (2023) An International Consensus Definition for Contextual Factors: Findings from a Nominal Group Technique. An International Consensus Definition for Contextual Factors: Findings from a Nominal Group Technique. Front. Psychol. 14:1178560. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2023.1178560
- BRONWYN SHERRIFF; CAROL CLARK; CLARE KILLINGBACK; DAVE NEWELL (2023) Musculoskeletal practitioners’ perceptions of contextual factors that may influence chronic low back pain outcomes: a modified Delphi study. Chiropr Man Therap 31, 12 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-023-00482-4
- DAVID HOHENSCHURZ-SCHMIDT, LENE VASE, WHITNEY SCOTT, MARCO ANNONI, JÜRGEN BARTH, KIM BENNELL, CHANTAL BERNA RENELLA, JOEL BIALOSKY, FELICITY BRAITHWAITE, NANNA B FINNERUP, AMANDA C DE C WILLIAMS, ELISA CARLINO, FRANCESCO CERRITELLI, ALEKSANDER CHAIBI, DAN CHERKIN, LUANA COLLOCA, PIERRE CÔTE, BETH D. DARNALL, RONI EVANS, LAURENT FABRE, VANDA FARIA, SIMON FRENCH, HEIKE GERGER, WINFRIED HÄUSER, RANA S HINMAN, DIEN HO, THOMAS JANSSENS, KARIN JENSEN, SIGRID JUHL LUNDE, FRANCIS KEEFE, ROBERT D. KERNS, HELEN KOECHLIN, ALICE KONGSTED, LORI A MICHENER, DANIEL MOERMAN, FRAUKE MUSIAL, DAVID NEWELL, MICHAEL NICHOLAS, TONYA M. PALERMO, SARA PALERMO, STEVEN PASHKO, KAYA J. PEERDEMAN, ESTHER M. POGATZKI-ZAHN, AARON A. PUHL, LISA ROBERTS, GIACOMO ROSSETTINI, CHRIS JOHNSTON, SUSAN TOMCZAK MATTHIESEN, MARTIN UNDERWOOD, PAUL VAUCHER, KAROLINA WARTOLOWSKA, KATJA WEIMER, CHRISTOPH PATRICK WERNER, ANDREW SC RICE, JERRY DRAPER-RODI. (2023) Recommendations for the Development, Implementation, and Reporting of (Sham) Control Interventions in Efficacy and Mechanistic Trials of Physical, Psychological, and Self-Management Therapies - The CoPPS statement. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj-2022-072108 BMJ 2023;381:e072108
- CG MONTORO, M RAOMERO-SANTIAGO, L LOSAPIO, FM CONESA-BUENDIA, D NEWELL, L ALVAREZ-GALOVICH, M PICHE, A ORTEGA D MUES (2022) Presence of TNF α in urine samples in patients with chronic low back pain. Preliminary findings from a prospective cohort Front. Integr. Neurosci., 12 April https://doi.org/10.3389/fnint.2022.879083
- PERTTU RIIPINEN, MICHELLE HOLMES, SAMANTHA OGILVIE, DAVE NEWELL, DAVID BYFIELD, ALISTER DU ROSE (2022) Patient’s perception of exercise for management of chronic low back pain: a qualitative study in a chiropractic educational outpatient clinic. Musculoskeletal Care, 06 April. https://doi.org/10.1002/msc.1637
- SHERRIFF B, NEWELL D, CLARK C, KILLINGBACK, C (2022) Impact of contextual factors in chronic low back pain patients following conservative rehabilitation: A systematic review. Chiropr Man Theray 30, 20 10.1186/s12998-022-00430-8
- DIMA IVANOVA; FELICITY L. BISHOP; DAVE NEWELL; JONATHAN FIELD, MADELEINE WALSH (2022) Mixed methods systematic review of the literature base exploring working alliance in the chiropractic profession. Chiropr Man Therap 30, 35 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-022-00442-4
- MOORMAN, A AND NEWELL, D (2022) Impact of Audible Pops Associated with Spinal Manipulation on Perceived Pain in Experimental Subjects: A Systematic Review Chiropr Man Therap 30, 42 10.1186/s12998-022-00454-0
- DAVID J HOHENSCHURZ-SCHMIDT OLIVER P THOMSON, GIACOMO ROSSETTINI, MAXI MICIAK, DAVE NEWELL, LISA ROBERTS, LENE VASE, JERRY DRAPER-RODI (2022) Avoiding nocebo and other undesirable effects in chiropractic, osteopathy and physiotherapy: An invitation to reflect, Musculoskeletal Science and Practice (Oct 20) doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msksp.2022.102677
- J W PINTO, F L BISHOP, K BRADBURY, D NEWEL (2022) Lifestyle and health behavior change support in traditional acupuncture: a mixed method survey study of reported practice (UK). BMC Complement Med Ther 22, 248. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-022-03719-6
Phone: 01202 436207
Facebook: Profile page
Linkedin: Profile page