MSc, PGCert, BSc (hons), CSi, FHEA - Course Lead and Lecturer in Physiology and Health and Sport Performance Centre coordinator
Phill is Course Lead for the BSc (Hons) Sport, Exercise and Health Science and Lecturer in Physiology and Health. As a sports scientist, he is the coordinator of the University College’s on-site Sport Performance Centre working with UK and overseas coaches, athletes and support staff.
Phill graduated from Aberystwyth University with a BSc (hons) in Sport and Exercise Science, Bangor University with an MSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology and the University of Dundee with a PGCert in Medical Education also achieving fellowship with the Higher Education Academy and Chartered Scientist status. Phill is currently a PhD candidate at Coventry University investigating behaviour towards concussion in football.
Phill came to AECC University College after working at AFC Bournemouth as a Performance Analyst and also brings experience and expertise from working as a sports physiologist in ultra-endurance running among other sports.
In addition to lecturing Phill is a BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist specialising in physiology and brings experience from working with a range of sports, ages and levels of ability. Most recently Phill has worked with the Great Britain Para Nordic team to develop a new athlete testing and monitoring programme as well as in collaboration with Williams Innovation and Coventry University to design new equipment.
Phill is currently Course Lead for the BSc (Hons) Sport, Exercise and Health Science and Lecturer in Physiology and Health. He is also the coordinator of the University College’s on-campus Sport Performance Centre working with local and national coaches, athletes and support staff. He currently also works as a performance scientist and consultant with professional and amateur athletes and coaches in the UK and internationally including preparing athletes for this summer’s Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
Phill is also a BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist and available to supervise BASES Supervisees. Please contact him thorough the email below to discuss this further.
Areas of Interest
Areas of interest and expertise include: Applied sport and exercise physiology, physiological responses to extreme environments, training for ultra-endurance events, performance indicators in Para Nordic Skiing, needs analysis in sport and concussion.
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science (Aberystwyth University)
- PGCert Medical Education (University of Dundee)
- MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology (Bangor University)
- BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Accredited UK Anti-Doping Clean Sport Advisor (UKAD)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES)
Phill is currently involved in a number of research projects including:
- Investigating how the use of signature personality strengths influenced coping during the COVID-19 lockdowns (Awarded AECC University College COVID-19 Research Funding Award).
- Psychological challenges impacting on performance in Para-snowsports.
- The relationship between isometric neck strength and concussion in combat sports (Awarded RCC Innovation Research Grant funding 2021, and AECC University College Research Funding Award).
- Isolating and measuring neck muscle mass using MRI and correlating this with isometric neck strength (Awarded RCC Innovation Research Grant funding 2021, and AECC University College Research Funding Award).
- The relationship between concussion and neurocognitive performance in combat athletes.
- Behaviours relating to concussion and player welfare in football among medical staff and referees.
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- LinkedIn – Phill Heritage
- Twitter – @phill_heritage
- Instagram – @madventuresofphill
- Research Gate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Phillip-Heritage