Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Rehabilitation
Michelle joined AECC University College as a Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Rehabilitation, teaching on the MSc Sport Rehabilitation and Therapy and MSc Sport and Exercise Rehabilitation courses.
Michelle completed an undergraduate course in Sports Therapy in 2005, then completed her Masters in Strength and Conditioning in 2011, and finally her PhD in 2020 on the topic of Exploring Ski Readiness in UK Secondary Schools.
Experience & Areas of Interest
Michelle had previously lectured for nine years within Sport and Exercise Therapy at Coventry University. Her main interest is working with Transplant Athletes at the British and World Transplant Games where she worked as part of a multidisciplinary team to support the athletes and supervise students working within these multievent sports.
Michelle has delivered strength and conditioning workshops for swimmers and coaches alongside delivering strength and conditioning at the ASA England Talent Programme and level one swimming camps at events around the country.
She has also led field trips to India (YFC Rurka Kalan) where she worked with MSc students to develop and lead educational programmes for football coaches and organise group sessions with the youth football players.
- 2012 - 2020 PhD Coventry University
- 2011 - 2013 Pg.Cert., Higher Education Professional Practice, Coventry University
- 2010 - 2011 MSc Strength and Conditioning, Coventry University - Distinction
- 2002 - 200z5 BSc Sports Therapy, Luton University - Upper Second Class (Hons)
- Insured member of the Society of Sports Therapists (SST)
Ski injury risk factors in young people, functional movement and Transplant sport.
- Lowton-Smith, S., Morgan, R., Stanley, M., Hames, T., Smith, P., Lawson, C., & Wright, S. L. (2019) Peer-to-peer teaching: Experience of 3rd year undergraduate sports therapy students and impact upon applied academic performance. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education, 25, 100196
- Domene, P. A., Stanley, M., & Skamagki, G. (2018). Injury Surveillance of Nonprofessional Salsa Dance. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 15(10), 774-780
- Stanley, M., Duncan, M. J., Price, M., Leddington Wright, S., and Coad, J. (2017) ‘Exploring the Preparation Practices of Teachers Who Organise Secondary School Ski Trips in England and Wales’ Journal of Risk Research, 1-12.
- Stanley, M., Price, M., Duncan, M.J., Leddington Wright, S. & Coad, J. (2015) ‘Investigating ski readiness on secondary school ski trips in England’. In Science and Skiing VI. ed. by Müller, E., Kröll, J., Lindinger, S., Pfusterschmied, J. & Stöggl, T. UK: Meyer & Meyer Sport, 309-315
- Duncan, M. J., Stanley, M., Smith, M., Price, M. J., & Wright, S. L. (2015). Coincidence Anticipation Timing Performance during an Acute Bout of Brisk Walking in Older Adults: Effect of Stimulus Speed. Neural Plasticity, 501, 210213.