Interim Clinical Imaging Lead
Matthew is the Clinical Imaging Lead at AECC UC, where he oversees the clinical imaging services offered by the School of Radiology. Matt joined AECC in 2016 as an Associate Lecturer, from December 2019 he became a Lecturer in Ultrasound/Radiography and Diagnostic Imaging Course lead. Matt is involved in the development and delivery of the Radiography and Medical Ultrasound courses in the School of Radiology.
Matthew Southam graduated from the University of Portsmouth with a BSc (Hons) Degree in Diagnostic Radiography and has worked predominately within the NHS since 2013.
During the last 8 years, Matthew has undertaken various aspects of Radiography including plain-film, trauma and fluoroscopy before specialising in Ultrasound and achieving an MSc. in Medical Ultrasound at the University of Bournemouth/AECC University College.
Matthew undertakes a wide range of medical Ultrasound examinations specialising within the head and neck area undertaking biopsies. He has previously held various other roles in the NHS including service management and working within project management, giving him a wide a range of skills and insight into how the NHS operates as an organisation. Matthew has always had a keen interest in the training and development of students and staff. He has previously worked for the AECC University College as an Associate Lecturer (2016) providing tutorship at the college and providing courses abroad.
Matthew is a Lecturer in Ultrasound and Radiography in the School of Radiology. He is currently involved in the development and delivery of radiography and ultrasound courses at AECC University College. As the Clinical Imaging Lead, Matthew is responsible for overseeing and developing the Clinical Imaging Services provided at the AECC University College.
Areas of Interest
Matthew has clinical interests in radiography and ultrasound techniques and technology. He also has interest in clinical service development and project management.
Specific focuses include:
- Radiography – General, Trauma and Fluoroscopy/Angiography
- Medical Ultrasound – Musculoskeletal, Head and Neck, Abdominal, Small parts, Soft tissue, Gynaecology,
Early Pregnancy and Fine-needle Aspiration Biopsy.
- Service and Project Management – Cost-improvement and service development, change management, project management and support.
- BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography
- MSc Medical Ultrasound.
- Health & Care Professions Council
- Member of the Society & College of Radiographers.
- Matthew has previously completed research into Artificial Intelligence in Ultrasound
- He is currently interested in Ultrasound technology and MRI functional uses.
Phone: 01212 436200